Sunday, January 10, 2010

Roasted Pork Tenderloin w/Cheesy Cauliflower Mash & Roasted Haricot Vert

Ham....To this day I still have recollections of elementary school. Sitting in the cafeteria watching your friend sitting across from you take a bite into his sandwich and see globs of Mayo coming out the sides of his mouth. It's something that has scarred me for life and to this day the thought of eating ham tends to gross me out. I'm not sure what it is exactly... the color, the slimy texture, or just the thought of taking two pieces of white bread, slathering mayonnaise on both sides and then piling processed slices of ham & American cheese in between makes me want to heave. Now I'm sure Ham is mighty tasty but it's just something I've always grown up disliking. In fact, I was never a fan of bacon until I moved to New York and to this day unless it's burnt & crispy, I still tend to peal my bacon in half and only eat the lean side.

So in honor of a new year, I decided to be a bit risky tonight and make something I have never made in my time. As I was sitting in Barnes & Noble today I came across an interesting recipe by a staple in my life, Ina Garten (also known as the Barefoot Contessa). Thank you Ina! After eating this meal I must say, I may never eat a slice of ham for as long as I live..but roasted pork tenderloin sure will be a dish that will appear in my kitchen for many meals to come!

Roasted Pork Tenderloin w/ Cheesy Cauliflower Mash & Roasted Haricot Vert

Ingredients
  • 2 (lb) Pork Tenderloin
  • 6 garlic cloves chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
  • 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1.5 tablespoon of Rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon of Thyme
  • 2 teaspoon of kosher salt
Preparation

Combine all ingredients in a large Ziploc bag and marinate refrigerated for 2 hours (up to 24 hours). Once marinated remove pork tenderloin from bag and shake off excess marinade. Leave on any excess pieces of Rosemary or Thyme. Discard marinade.

Heat one tablespoon of olive oil over high heat using a cast iron pan. Once oil is beginning to steam sear pork tenderloin on each side until a brown crust forms. While searing preheat your oven at 350 degrees.

Transfer entire cast iron pan with pork tenderloin to the oven. It should take approximately 20 minutes or until pork tenderloin reads 140-150 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove immediately and cover with tin foil. Do not over cook. Let tenderloin rest for up to 10 minutes so juices can re-concentrate. Slice 1/2 inch think pieces and serve over Cauliflower Mash.

Cheesy Cauliflower Mash

Ingredients
  • 1 head of cauliflower trimmed from stem and broken into florets
  • 1/4 cup of whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 tablespoon of cream cheese (fat free)
  • 1/2 cup of grated Gruyere cheese
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Chopped Chives
Preparation

Boil Cauliflower florets over salted water for 20-30 minutes or until tender with a fork. Drain Cauliflower over a colander and shake out excess water. Remove as much water as possible to maintain good consistency. Put Cauliflower back into a large saucepan. Using a hand masher, mash cauliflower until smooth with no chunks. Add butter, cream and cream cheese and mix until well combined. Add Gruyere cheese and mix until fully combined. Cheese should not be runny. Add S&P to get desired taste. Serve with chopped chives.


Serve & Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment