Friday, December 11, 2009

Brocolli & Sweet Potato Soup

Ok..so I've been reading all these random blogs trying to figure out the best way to write about soup. I'll be honest, I've never made soup..never had the time to make soup...and most important not even sure I really like soup. But living in NY, there is something about waking up on a cold morning and throwing a bunch of "stuff" on the stove top and letting it simmer all day. You may not like the taste of it but it sure smells damn good!


**This may sound odd to some but I came across a post on Gourmet about the best way to get your apartment to smell great after a burnt meal. Real simple...kick up the oven to about 250 degrees for about ten minutes. Take a teaspoon of cinnamon and pour it over the bottom of the oven (yes actually let it light on fire). Let it cook for about 20 minutes and the next thing you know you'll have an apartment smelling like apple pie! Yes Leigh..no comment please.**


Ok back to my soup. For my wedding, one of my relatives decided to send us an immersion blender. Not really sure why on earth I would ever register for this but now that I have it, I feel it is in my power the need to use it. (note to self. Make sure you charge your immersion blender prior to use!)


So..in my search for my first soup concocotion I came across a recipe on my coworkers blog Good Looking Home Cooking. I've made a few variations to it but I must be honest i came out real good. I might decide to stay on the soup kick for a few more posts so keep on reading!

Brocolli & Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon butter or Olive Oil
  • 1 white onion rough chop
  • 2 -3 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 2 sweet potatoes or yams , peeled and rough chopped
  • 1 large package of frozen broccoli
  • 1/2 cup white corn kernels

Spices
  • Couple pinches of oregano, black pepper
  • 3-4 pinches of red pepper or desired spice level (I like it spicy!)

Wet Ingredients
  • 2 cups of water
  • 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth

To Prepare

  • Over medium heat, melt butter and then saute chopped garlic & onions until they begin to sweat.
  • Add all of your spices
  • Add sweet potatoes and stir together for a couple minutes
  • Add both cups of water and vegetable broth
  • Bring to a boil


Once the soup begins to boil, turn the heat down and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add the broccoli and let simmer for an additional couple minutes.


Time to blend. Using the immersion blender (or if you don't have one puree in a food processor or regular blender in batches!) You'll know you're done when the soup gets a smooth consistency. See below.


Serve immediately. Top with parmesian cheese & enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment